Home History and Coat of arms Coat of arms

Coat of arms

    Hemmingfrod LogoThe Village and Township of Hemmingford

               (Québec, Canada   J0L 1H0)



Colours: Silver - Gold - Azure (blue) - Sable (black) - Gules (red) - Green

The heraldic symbolism of our coat of arms is as follows:

The name of the Village and Township "Hemmingford" is emblazoned across the top of the coat of arms.

A ram's head surmounts the coat of arms at chief points (in the center) signifying the attachment our Hemmingford has with the English village of Hemingford Grey and Hemingford Abbot in the county of Huntingdon , England. Our area was named after these villages. Three ram's heads were part of the coat of arms of the Ramsey family which was prominent in the Hemingford area circa 1625. Sheep were also an important animal to the pioneer farmers here.

In the upper left hand corner is a sable (black) locomotive against a silver background. In 1852, the Montreal and New York Railway Co. completed the 29 mile line from Caughnawaga to Hemmingford. This was the sixth line to open in Canada and the second to make international connections, and was instrumental in increasing commerce and advancing the entire community. The locomotive depicted here was named the "Hemmingford".

In the upper right hand section is a gules (red) house on a silver background. The house belonged to Julius Scriver, MLA and MP, a scion of one of the original families of Hemmingford and one of its most famous sons. His father Col. John Scriver, who was resposible for the location and early growth of the village, which was initially named Scriver's Corners in his honour.

Centrally placed on the arms is a border marker. This marker symbolizes the close relationship with our American neighbours the Hemmingford citizens have enjoyed over the years. Hemmingford became a Chief Customs Port on July 8, 1844, the fifth in Canada.

In the lower left section is a black and silver dairy cow against an azure (blue) background. The dairy industry was extremely important during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. While the number of herds and cows has declined in recent years,  dairying was and is an integral part of life in Hemmingford.

The lower right hand section portrays a black kettle on an azure (blue) background. The most significant activity that drew settlers to our area was the making of potash. The kettle depicts this early industry and was also used for making maple syrup and soap when not being used for its priciple activity.

The central section below the chevron shows a green apple tree on a silver background. The first settlers brought apple trees with them and apples have remained a beloved fruit, whether produced on a tree or two for personal use, or in a large commercial orchard. "Apples" have become symbolic with the name of "Hemmingford".

"Friends along the border"







© 2010 Hemmingford.ca Powered by Joomlamontreal.com